About the Association
The Cambrian Archaeological Association was founded
in 1846 and it is a registered charity (no. 216249). Its charitable
objects are ‘to examine, preserve and illustrate the ancient
monuments and remains of the history, language, manners, customs,
arts and industries of Wales and the Marches and to educate the
public in such matters’.
Since its foundation the Association has published
an annual journal, Archaeologia Cambrensis (free to members) which
has contained articles by the foremost scholars of the day on historical
documents, architectural history, family history and archaeological
monuments, finds and excavations.
Alongside its role as a publisher of important
historical records and new thinking the Association has always seen
itself as a society of like-minded friends who enjoy sharing their
knowledge and enthusiasm for the past. The summer meetings of the
Association were very notable gatherings in the nineteenth century
and they continue to be so today.
The Association holds two meetings each year, a
week in mid-summer and an autumn weekend, visiting sites and monuments
in all parts of Wales and, on occasions, in England, Ireland and
abroad. Easter conferences with lectures on matters of current concern
in history and archaeology are held on a bi-annual basis. It arranges
a lecture in Welsh at the National Eisteddfod each year.
The Association is also involved in promoting an
interest in the past among the young by sponsoring an essay / project
prize - the Blodwen Jerman prize
- for school children and students. The Association offers grants
towards research and excavation, but it does not itself conduct
excavations. It also has a fund to make small grants to students.
Organisation and Contacts
A recent visit to the Caernarvon Area